May 8th: Adam graduates with his MBA (hooray!)
May 9th: Race for the Cure
May 10th: Mother's Day
May 11th: My Mom's Birthday
Since there is so much going on, I wanted to make sure I got a little in about my mom to celebrate her as my MOM and the great person she was through her life.
Of course there are so many things all of us can say about our mom's. We learn so much from our mom's and I think I have learned and come to appreciate her more since I've been a mom and that continues as my kids grow. I have a large handful of memories from things my mom did as I grew up, including: making my baptism dress, homemade Halloween costumes every year, her always packing us to travel to our cabin every weekend in the summer, planning and entertaining groups of people on river trips, for parties, and anything all while making it look like a breeze and never complaining. She worked full time while I grew up but still attended all of my school events, tennis matches, art shows, whatever came up. And of course there are all the things she did to cover for me, like when our dog Walter chewed up my new $300 retainer less than a week after I got. When we had to bring it up to my dad she so easily made it sound like Walter's fault when really it was me who left it out :). There is of course a list that can go on and on.
Some birthday memories I have of her is she always went all out for birthdays. One year while I was at school she totally repainted/wallpapered and arranged my room so it was a surprise when I got home (I don't know how she did it). She always sent balloons to school, even when I was in high school and a little embarrassed about it. One year on her birthday, she picked me up from school and took me out to lunch. I remember we saw a 3 leg golden retriever in front of the Arby's we went to- I'm sure all you RS girls know what I'm talking about.
On top of all the special events there is all the cheesy stuff we would do like watch Steel Magnolias and Princess Diaries. When my mom was sick we did marathons of Jon & Kate Plus 8 and What Not to Wear on the days she was too sick to get out of bed. We spent a lot of time together when I was a kid and as an adult. She came up to Mother's Weekend at BYU-Idaho the first year I was married and we both rode scooters around town to lunch and we had a ball. My mom was really conservative but would not let you know it because she always liked to be a little different or doing the new cool thing.
As I get older, as I think most of us would agree, you look at your mom and don't know how they did it all and still seemed sane. I hope I can make it as a mom. My mom was strong willed (to say the least as any of you who knew her know) and opinionated but that is so much of what made her her and how she got so much accomplished and done in her life and for her family and others. I was taught much of service, sacrifice, and giving from my mom. My testimony of the gospel grew leaps and bounds as she encouraged me to go to seminary when I was younger and again while she fought and endured through cancer. Even at the very end, she was still my mom teaching me much even when she couldn't speak. I just wanted to say that I love her and miss her terribly but she'll always be my mom. Happy Birthday & Happy Mother's Day to the best mom I could have ever asked for.




I just got really teary-eyed. I know that I didn't know your Mom, but I have really been thinking about you as I have been getting ready for the Relay for Life. I'm sure she was an amazing woman to have raised such an awesome daughter!
ReplyDeleteOh Allison. You have me all teary now. Your mom was a great example to all of us mothers. I know you are/will be as wonderful.
ReplyDeleteI totally remember when Walter ate your retainer! I also remember always seeing you with balloons on your birthdays.
As long as we always remember people, they are always with us. Your mom will always be with you because of what she taught you and did for you. What a great blessing. :)
P.S. Congrats on graduating Adam Clancy!
Dag-Nabit, Al, you got me all choked up!
ReplyDeleteI love your mom. Love her. She's Mom to a lot of people too. Kathy made us ALL feel like she took us under her arm as she clucked her motherly clucking. Dang, I miss her too. When I think of Kathy I think:
Bridal and Baby Showers (she made mine unforgettable)
Cabin
Laugh
Friday night pizza
Cutest little yellow VW ever
Laugh
Rafting trip
Laugh
did i mention Laugh?
i could go on... but really, Al, you said it perfectly... what a beautiful tribute to your Mom. Thank you, Aude. You're a wonderful mom, I know Kathy is proud!
Also, good luck this coming up week! Crazy, but make sure you have FUN!!! And Adam, CONGRATS Big Boy!!!! What a major accomplishment!
Love ya, Al!
You are such a sweet girl, Allison. I wanted to write you when I saw her obituary in the paper, but never did. She sounds like such a neat lady! What a great tribute to her.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great tribute to your mom. I have no doubt she is very proud of you.
ReplyDeleteTears a flowin'.
ReplyDeleteI am sure this Mother's Day will be harder than ever but you are so incredibly strong you amaze me.
This post makes me want to get down on my knees and repent for taking the little things in life for granted and especially taking my Mother for granted.
Thanks Allison for yet again shedding some much needed light into my life that I needed.
Al what a wonderful mother you have! She was a truly amazing person that will never be forgot! She has influenced many lives including mine! I am so grateful for the gospel and knowing that we will be with our loved one again!
ReplyDeleteTell Adam Congrats and job well done! I am so proud of you and your family! You are a great example to us all!
The more I learn about your mom the more I realize why you are as amazing as you are! What a neat post...thanks for sharing such neat adn special memories/thoughts!
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful post about your mom. I didn't know her, but she sounds like she was an AMAZING mother. What neat memories. We don't really appreciate our moms until we are in their shoes, do we? :)
ReplyDelete