Our Family

Our Family
This is a blog about our family. My journal of our adventures. We're just trying to do our best raising 2 crazy kids (or maybe we're the crazy ones). Eight years of marriage under our belts, and still lots of new adventures and surprises on this road called life.


In loving memory of my mom- Kathleen Nelson Higgins May 11, 1954-December 29, 2008. She is my warrior and I wear pink in honor of her.

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Lake Blanche





Finally- peace and quiet. Max is taking a nap and Grace is on her way to Idaho with cousins for a few days until we get there. Better take advantage of the situation. I was scrolling through my camera and realizing how many pictures I need to journal and write about to remember this summer by.
Can I just say that I LOVE summer and the warmer weather and getting outside. It makes me feel alive again after a loooong winter- not just weather wise but mentally as well. I love to see my kids in shorts and green grass and I love the opportunities for new memories of the same things we've done before and to remember what it used to be like and how much Grace and Max have grown. It's bittersweet for me, my kids growing so fast but also exciting for the new ages and stages. As frustrating as it can be, I love being a mom with the opportunity to live this life that is mine. I'm learning to appreciate these things more all the time.

Adam tries to hike every Friday morning before work in the summer. It's his reprieve and I know he loves it. I got to go with him last Friday. We hired a babysitter to come at 5:30 am and we hit the trail. Since having kids I haven't done as much hiking nor had the chance to enjoy the peace of the outdoors without dragging a kid along side or digging for a snack or water. This particular morning was GREAT. I could have stayed all day. I had time for meditation and to learn from the principles of nature as I hiked along the trial. There was peace and quiet, big streams, birds, and the beauty of the sunrise cresting over the Wasatch Mountains. We were lucky to have the trail to ourselves on the way up to Lake Blanche. I just can't say how nice it was and 'healing' for me. I forgot how much I love this stuff.

Adam and I had a chance to have some fun on a date that wasn't just dinner and a movie and that change up was nice. On the way down we were running behind schedule so we did a little trail running and it was so fun. I just can't say enough how thankful I am for the beauty and majesty of this earth and how Heavenly Father's creations and principles are consistent in all realms. These are the thoughts and moments that teach me lots about our Heavenly Father and the plan of salvation. It all just fits and our bodies are miracles in themselves- they can move, go, and take us places and give us opportunities above all other living things, which only means more happiness can be attained through hard work. I'm grateful for teaching moments and the Holy Ghost as my companion when I'm trying to live right.

Mental note: Get Outside! I love it every time.

1 comment:

  1. ahhhhh!! So jealous you got to go hiking with Adam (just you and him.... what would it be like???) Great post, you look really great, Al, seriously!

    ps. that family photo of you guys at Donut Falls (where Grace is holding onto each one of you and Adam's legs) it's perfection... a framer! Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete