Our Family

Our Family
This is a blog about our family. My journal of our adventures. We're just trying to do our best raising 2 crazy kids (or maybe we're the crazy ones). Eight years of marriage under our belts, and still lots of new adventures and surprises on this road called life.


In loving memory of my mom- Kathleen Nelson Higgins May 11, 1954-December 29, 2008. She is my warrior and I wear pink in honor of her.

Friday, November 19, 2010

Gearing up for the Holidays

Max is loving the fall leaves this year.
While Grace was at preschool Thursday, Max and I ventured out into the wind to play with some leaves.
I've always loved fall, but now I love it even more with these cute little bodies mixed in with the the foliage (yes, foliage- it's the only word that's coming to my mind and probably because Adam and I were on a quest for the best "fall foliage" hike this fall and missed it by a couple of weekends. Nutts. Good thing there is next year.)
And speaking of preschool- is Grace in collage already? She was sitting at the computer playing some Curious George games last night and I looked at her and thought to myself, "this is a peek into what I imagine her like studying in college." She looks so grown up. I guess with computers now, it will probly be like like this in 2nd grade. I just remember hours in the computer lab @ BYU-Idaho and that was the first time I really had to use computers . . . for hours on end.
Needless to say, Grace already has the computer 'zone' mastered along with the sparkly jewels.



We're going to Grandma and Grandpa Moon's this weekend for our annual early Thanksgiving.
It's been a while since we've been to Idaho, so it'll be a fun quick visit.
The Holidays are officially upon us.


*We've been staying plenty busy already this month. Our friends Danni and Jason were staying with us the first 10 days of the month. We got some fun pictures from the zoo, but after Max grabbed the camera one afternoon, kiss that memory card good bye. It was a lot of fun having them- wish I had some pics!



My goal for the holidays and my life in general right now (from here on out)is:

"Be wise. . . resist the temptaion to get caught up in the frantic rush of everyday life. . . (but rather) slow down a little, steady the course, and focus on the essentials."
-President Dieter F. Uchtdorf
(Of Things That Matter Most, Oct. Conference 2010)



The essentials in my life right now are: taking care of myself both physically and especially emotionally, making time to spend with Adam on a regular basis (and yes that means weeknights amid the things that pile up everynight for us both), and making some meaningful memories with my kids and taking the TIME with them so they know I love them.
Time to focus on my family and get back to the basics.



"These simple, basic principles are the key to living in harmony with God and man. . .They lead us to the peace, joy, and understanding that Heavenly Father has promised to His children who hear and obey Him. . . Diligently doing the things that matter most will lead us to the Savior of the world."
-President Uchtdorf



These are things I'm trying to get back to. It's easy for me to stay busy with lots of things, but maybe not the most important of things.
So here goes. . .

5 comments:

  1. Such fun things to share. Its true, you know? Getting back to basics. It makes such a difference. Allen's school has a no tv/video games policy on school nights. It makes such a difference! We talk and enjoy and have been known to play games together. Life seems so much more doable then. I don't love having a messy home with unfinished projects, but I'll take them any day over having a lacking relationship with my family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grace and Max are getting so big! I agree with you that we need to spend more time as a family but life sometimes does get in the way. Have a fun holiday season and have fun in Blackfoot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grace looks just like Luke on the computer... I have to shut the computer to get Luke's attention. Have a great Thanksgiving in Idaho!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the pictures. Love the thoughts! Grace does look so old. She just cracks me up, I feel like I'm talking to a teenager when I talk to her sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sort of freaking out over Grace in front of the computer, she's WAY too mature and cool and aloof and awesome! "when I was her age, I thought Hungry, Hungry Hippos were the BEES KNEES"

    Max looks so happy sitting in those leaves... makes you want to stop time altogether!

    that's awesome you and Danni and Jason got to spend a good chunk of time together, i bet that was a ton of fun!

    i've been wanting to call you for, like, ever (i sound cooler when i say "like" more often)... but i don't have ANY long distance minutes (we've been begging people to call us instead... lame) so CALL me up sometime... my soul would love to have a good long chat!

    ps. i love that first quote... i need to, like, stitch that on a pillow... badly.

    ReplyDelete