Our Family

Our Family
This is a blog about our family. My journal of our adventures. We're just trying to do our best raising 2 crazy kids (or maybe we're the crazy ones). Eight years of marriage under our belts, and still lots of new adventures and surprises on this road called life.


In loving memory of my mom- Kathleen Nelson Higgins May 11, 1954-December 29, 2008. She is my warrior and I wear pink in honor of her.

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Ode to the Cabin


Alright, this is going to be a little bit of a sentimental post but that is just the way it is. We've had a lot of things happen around the cabin so I thought I would share them and I think there is a pattern here that reflects my mom still aware of our lives. First off- The Cabin. Shortly after my mom's mother passed away (about 24 years ago, and my grandma Mary was young like my mom) my parents bought a piece of property from my Grandpa in Alpine Wyoming to build a cabin on. A few years later my parents began with just a fence and then slowly over the years built the cabin we have today. As a kid, we drove EVERY SINGLE WEEKEND in the summers 3 hours to the cabin to work on it. I was always sharing the back seat with our stinky Walter dog from the time I was 9 until I graduated High School. My parents built almost all of the cabin themselves and went slowly as they could afford it. I have TONS of memories of being there at all ages. I used to get so mad when I would have to go and miss a high school football game in the fall or something, but now I'm so grateful for the opportunities I had to go and they are the things that have stuck with me much longer than a cold night cheering for the local team. There is a feeling of peace and memories at the cabin and a lot of good times with family and friends.

When I met Adam the new garage was just being built onto the cabin so he saw the original thing and now all the updates. In fact Adam asked my dad to marry me one weekend at the cabin. . .that was awkward because my dad didn't exactly say yes or no so it made for a long weekend for him hanging out with the family and I didn't even know about it :). Anyway, Adam and I used to go up and spend the night a lot when we lived in Idaho an hour away. We've done a lot of canoeing down the little Salt River that is close by as well as river trips down the Snake River with friends. It's a great place to be and most of you who I knew growing up have been there a time or two.

Last summer was the first summer in 18-20 years that I didn't go to the cabin at all! My mom was sick and I was pregnant and having Max along with a gallbladder removed, so it pretty much wiped out our summer. My dad stopped by the cabin and discovered it had a leak in the roof and the whole cabin was flooded so he and my mom decided to go ahead and update and remodel it. They hired people to come do most of the work since my mom couldn't be there as much and they gutted it and began remodeling the inside. My mom picked out all the slate and new granite counter tops and other things. I have a very clear memory of her calling me last September, she was standing on the front porch of the cabin telling me how wonderful the new log siding looked and she was beaming through the phone (she and my dad love this place). Come to find out later on my mom and dad's drive home from that trip she mentioned to my dad that it felt like that was going to be her last time to see the cabin- crazy because she was doing pretty well but she was right. A long winter later my dad, Jessica, and I and our families made the trek up to the cabin in June (first time without my mom) to see the finished product of the remodeling. The end result: It's awesome! Still feels like the same cabin but just a lot nicer and more completed. My mom didn't get to see the cabin completed, but I take comfort in knowing she picked out all the stuff in there that I am see and that my family will be sharing for a long time.

Another side note (or letter) that goes along with this. The property/land around the cabin has been owned by someone else and not for sale for a loooong time. My mom and dad always wanted to buy another lot but it was never available. About a month and a half after my mom passed away, a realtor called my dad and offered to sell 2 lots in front of the cabin! He took them in a heartbeat. About 2 months ago, the 2 lots behind the cabin came up for sale and my dad was able to purchase those as well. Now the cabin lot is a lot bigger than we ever could have imagined. We look at it as a gift my mother left for us because no matter what happens in any of our lives, the cabin will live on and be there for our families for forever and my mom's spirit is there. We can't help but think she was pulling some strings for us on the other side.

So the cabin is a wonderful place for our family. Here are a few pics of the updated cabin. The newest addition to the cabin. . .a tee pee for the grandkids. My dad wanted to get something fun for the kids to play in outside. We've got lots of years to go enjoying this beautiful place. It's our refuge from the business of the city and the world:).

8 comments:

  1. Our trip to the cabin that one summer was one of my great memories from High School!!!! When ever I would go to Idaho I would think about going to you cabin and down the river!!! GREAT TIMES!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cabin looks awesome. How fun to have that in the family. I'm glad you can feel connected to your mom there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, the cabin looks amazing!! Kathy did awesome at picking out the goods, baby! I MISS the cabin... "IT WAS TEETH.... zzzzzzz...."
    i called Taylor in to look at the pics with me, he thinks (as do i) we should get the crew out there and play... even do some ritualistic dancing around the awesome new teepee!!
    that's GREAT that you guys OWN so much of the land... your own haven forever and ever... i love it!

    ps. is that mule still there?
    hahahahahahahhaa!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just telling Adam about the 'pink eye shim', Katy :) and no, he's/she is not there anymore. A HUGE house replaced it- I think I'de take the shim back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahahaha!!! Yeah, it ain't right that shim's not there but a massive house is.... not right at all!

    oh man, the memories... seriously... let's get out there again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The cabin looks great! I love the new tile throughout and the teepee is so awesome, I bet the grandkids love it! We had some great memories at the cabin, too bad shim has left that was so funny I don't think I can ever forget the good times at the cabin!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a neat place to be able to go and "get away". That's great that it holds so many special memories!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great post - I have not even looked at the photos - I just love how you describe everything - I can just see it all in my mind.

    What a great places to live on and on.

    ReplyDelete